How to Find Articles
1. Find a citation for an article
You can find citations in
- References from other articles or books.
- Article indexes.
(Engineering Index) and
Web of Science
are good starting points that provide broad coverage of engineering topics.
It is usually a good idea to consult several indexes, as each index includes journals not found in the others.
2. Identify the
- Title of the Journal
- Volume, Number, Date and Pages for the Article
3. Find the Journal Title in the Library Catalog.
- Browse search for Title
- Keyword search for Serials
Note: the library catalog does not list authors or titles of individual articles.
4. Click "Holdings" to find:
- Which volumes the libraries own
- The call number
- Whether the volume is checked out
(Most journals can be borrowed for 2 days)
In some cases, the University Libraries also subscribe to an online version of the journal. This information will be in the catalog, or the e-journal locator.
If the journal is not in the catalog
Notre Dame Students, Faculty and Staff may request copies of the article from Interlibrary Loan (login).