Study space options in the Hesburgh Libraries
Closed/Locked individual study carrels
- Available to full stipend Graduate students in the College of Arts & Letters (MA and MFA students are not eligible for carrels)
- You must submit an application to Deans office in the College of Arts and Letters. Contact Jennifer Peterman (firstname.lastname@example.org) directly for application information.
- Keys for approved candidates are issued at Hesburgh Circulation Services desk (1st Floor, Hesburgh Library).
- A $100.00 deposit is due at check-out.
- $100 deposit is returned when the carrel is cleaned out and the key is returned.
- Carrel is for your use and may not be shared with an unauthorized person.
- All library materials stored in carrels must be checked out.
- Carrels are checked periodically for overdue materials and for materials not checked out. These materials will be removed and returned to their home location.
Questions about carrels should be directed to Jennifer Peterman (email@example.com) in the College of Arts and Letters.
Open study carrels
- Available on most floors on a first-come, first-served basis
- Cannot be reserved
- Do not leave personal or library materials you have borrowed on your ID unattended. Materials will be removed if left unattended.
Group study rooms:
- Collaborative work spaces are available in the Hesburgh Libraries for use by students. Please check availability here: http://library.nd.edu/about/rooms/
- To reserve a group study room use this link: http://nd.libcal.com/booking/groupstudy
- Rules for Group Study Rooms:
- 2 or more students are required to be present for group space use. Priority will be given to groups over individuals.
- A student may make up to 2 reservations per week.
- Reservations may last up to 2 hours (in 30 minute increments).
- Reservations can be made up to 2 weeks in advance.
- Materials will be removed if left unattended
- The O'Meara Mathematics Library has five (5) group study rooms and a seminar room.
Graduate student lounge
- Hesburgh Library, Room 900
- Study tables available
- Available during library building open hours
- Access granted via keypad;
- code available from the Graduate Student Union Office (217 LaFortune Student Center)
- code available from the Hesburgh Library Security Monitors or from the Hesburgh Library Circulation Services Desk with proper ID
- Graduate students only are allowed in this space. Report any concerns to the Hesburgh Library Security Monitors.
- The graduate student professional development library is located in this space. Click here for a list of materials in this collection.
- Available on all floors
- Available on a first-come, first-served basis
- Cannot be reserved
- Library materials will be removed if left unattended for any length of time
Lokmobiles ("desk on wheels")
- Available to Graduate students (priority) and seniors working on a thesis
- $3 rental fee due at check-out
- Request a lokmobile at Hesburgh Circulation Services Desk.
- A lokmobile is for your use and may not be loaned or passed to another person.
- Keep lokmobile locked. The Library is not responsible for the loss or damage to any articles kept in the lokmobile.
- All library materials stored in lokmobile must be checked out.
- Lokmobiles are checked periodically for overdue materials and for materials not checked out. These materials will be removed and returned to their home location.
1st Floor "Fishbowl"
- Seating for approximately 175 with a variety of seating options available.
- Quiet not guaranteed.
Questions? Please contact the Hesburgh Library Circulation Services at: (574) 631-6318, firstname.lastname@example.org, or your branch library for assistance.