First Common Seal of Avignon
Catalog number: D5499
Size: 43 mm
Click on the picture above for an enlarged image.
A bridge with five arches spanning a river; a crenellated fortress with three gates and two towers; in the center, a lantern-tower surmounted by a cupola with a cross; appended to several acts: May 1226, promise of the Podestas of Avignon to return to the count of Toulouse Beaucaire and the Venaissin; March 1234, sale by the syndics of Avignon of the house of the Friars Minor situated in the parish of Saint-Pierre
sigillum comunis avinionensis
Douët-d'Arcq, L. Collection de sceaux. Paris : H. Plon, 1863-1868.