Which of the following questions should you ask yourself when considering the relevance of a potential source?
- Was the source published in the past five years?
- Does the source add something new to your knowledge of the topic?
- Is the source free of bias?
- Is the author an established expert in the field?
A source is relevant when it adds something new to your knowledge of the topic. Relevance is important because you are expected to support your ideas with pertinent information.
In which type of research would currency be most important as you consider which sources to use?
- Health Sciences/Medicine
When doing research in a field that changes quickly, like medicine or health, currency is especially important.
Citing corroborating sources reinforces the ___________ of an article.
Citing corroborating sources is one way of reinforcing the accuracy of an article.
In gathering data for your project about freedom of information conflicts in China, which resource will provide the most accurate and least biased information?
- Chinese newspapers
- American newspapers
- The article "Status of Media in China" from the Encyclopedia of International Media and Communication
- An interview with your uncle who immigrated to the US from Tibet.
All of the following statements are true except one. Which statement is FALSE?
- All research assignments require the most current information possible.
- Internet resources are generally more current than books.
- A web site should indicate the date it was last updated.
- Reading a book that's out of date can still add to your understanding of a subject.
A grass roots organization opposed to gambling would be a good source for accurate statistics to support your research on the social benefits and liabilities for tribes developing casinos on Indian reservations.
A grass roots organization opposed to gambling would not be a good source for accurate statistics to support your research on the social benefits and liabilities for tribes developing casinos on Indian reservations. A grass roots organization opposed to gambling may use legitimate statistics but exclude those that don't support a specific agenda.