Department of Pharmacy

The files of the University Bulletins indicate that courses in pharmacy were taught for the first time in 1898; as was a customary practice in many schools at that time, members of the South Bend community assisted in the teaching of courses of a technical nature. Mr. Leo Eliel, a highly-respected pharmacist in South Bend, was one of the earlier teachers in the program; he served at one time as President of the American Pharmaceutical Assocition.

Mr. Robert Lee Greene came to the University in 1902 to become head of the pharmacy division; he was joined by Dr. Regidius M. Kaczmarek about 1918. Dr. Kaczmarek had been teaching Polish and Polish History earlier in that decade, and had been taking work toward an advanced degree in biology; after joining Mr. Greene, Dr. Kaczmarek taught the courses in botany, pharmacognosy, physiology and pharmacology for the pharmacy students. In 1929 Dr. Lawrence H. Baldinger joined this department as an instructor and to do graduate work in chemistry. By 1927 the Department of Pharmacy had gone solely to the four-year program leading to the Bachelor of Science degree, although this program had been optional for students as far back as 1913; in this decision the University had anticipated by many years a regulation adopted in the early thirties by the Association of American Colleges of Pharmacy. Dr. Baldinger became Head of the Department of Pharmacy in 1933 and served in that capacity until the department was discontinued in 1939, at which time he became a staff member in the Department of Chemistry, Mr. Greene was retired, and Dr. Kaczmarek was invited to join the staff of the Department of Biology.

Because of his great interest in botany, pharmacognosy, and plant chemistry, the late Rev. J. A. Nieuwland, C.S.C., took a very active interest in this small division of the college. many of the older alumni who were privileged to have him as a teacher in the botanical sciences remember fondly the "plant-trips" or "botany-hikes" which he supervised, and for which his knowledge of the flora in this area was extraordinary.

One of the pharmacy graduates in the early years of the department who gained national renown and fame, but not in the field of pharmacy following his graduation, was Knute Kenneth Rockne. "Rock" was graduated with a 90.5%-average with a Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy degree in June 1914, and remained at Notre Dame to teach chemistry and to be an assistant football coach. World War I intervened at this stage, but after attaining a first lieutenancy in the Army, "Rock" returned in 1918 to be appointed Director of Athletics and head football coach, also to join the chemistry staff upon the invitation of Rev. Jospeh Maguire, C.S.C., who was then Head of the Department. Rockne's name appears in the University Bulletins as a chemistry teacher in 1919, 1920, and 1921, but from 1922 until his tragic death in March 1931, his efforts were devoted entirely to coaching duties. Older alumni remember that he lectured in the same staccato manner in his teaching as he did on the football practice field, and that his classroom discipline was as strict as that on the field.

Source:
The Centennial of Science at Notre Dame 1865-1965 , pg 23.