Resources for Library Student Workers
- Students are to report to work on time and work their posted hours.
- Make sure that all books are checked in and/or out properly.
- Identify any new materials that need processing.
- Keep track of your hours and the work that you have done on and excel spreadsheet.
Checking Out Materials
- Make sure book has a book pocket and check out card
- Write name of borrower on check out card with return date (one week later)
- File card in call number order until return
Checking In Materials
- Locate check-out card for item
- Cross out borrower's name and replace card in book pocket
- Re-shelve the book according to call number order
Searching the Library Catalog for System Records
- Search the ND Library Catalog by title (exclude the article)
- If the title does not come up search by the author's last and first name
- If the book is located by title or author click on 'Display Full Record'
- Verify that the publication information (i.e. date and publisher) match the book in hand
- Scroll down to the bottom of the record and locate the 'System Number'
- Write the System Number and Call Number in pencil on the upper right corner of the first page of the book
- Record the System Number on a spreadsheet
- Place the book in the section awaiting marking according to call number order
Searching WorldCat for OCLC Numbers (ONLY AFTER ND CATALOG HAS BEEN THOROUGHLY SEARCHED)
- Search WorldCat by author last name and keyword from title of book
- Once a match is found click on the title of the book
- Scroll down to 'Accession No: OCLC:' and locate the number
- Write the OCLC # in pencil on the upper right corner of the first page of the book - make sure to note that it is the OCLC number
- Record the OCLC number on a spreadsheet
- Place the book in the section awaiting call numbers and marking
When you Find a Book that Says it is in the Catalog
- Check to see if there is a corresponding spine label and book jacket/check out card labels
- If so, adhere the labels and follow directions below
- If not, place the book on a shelf awaiting labeling, add to your spreadsheet, and email me the spreadsheet when it is full.
Applying Spine Labels and Book Pockets
- All books must have spine labels and books pockets before they are placed on the completed shelves
- Locate the spine label and matching book - make sure that the call number and book are EXACT matches
- Place the spine label at the very bottom of the spine of the book - the label can be trimmed to fit the spine if it does not cut off the call number
- Iron the label to adhere to the spine
- Find matching book pocket and check out card labels
- Apply labels to book pocket and check out card
- Affix the book pocket to the inside of the back cover of the book
- Shelve the book according to call number
Processing New Materials
- When new materials arrive they need to be separated into two groups - those with labels and those without.
- Search the online catalog to make sure that they are listed as being located in the Rome Library.
- Email Jennifer the system number.
- Shelve the books according to call numbers.
- Without Labels
- Search the catalog to see if they are listed.
- If listed, send Jennifer the system number and call number.
- If not listed, send the title and publishing information.
- Place on shelf awaiting call numbers.
- HOURS - Record your hours and the nature of the work that you did for the day on an excel spreadsheet similar to the one below. Hours will be collected monthly.
- Rome Student Hours - PDF